North Manitou Island Life Saving Station
North Manitou, MI. Lake Michigan

           Back to Life Saving Service Home

Station North Manitou, Michigan

Location:

Near Pickards Wharf, Lake Michigan

Date of Conveyance

1874

Station Built:

1876 (?)

Fate:

Discontinued in 1939

Station Type:

 

Keepers:

Marvin Lee Core was appointed keeper on 24 APR 1877 and left later that year.

Daniel L. Buss was appointed keeper on 7 JUN 1877 and was dismissed, date unknown.

James Flynn was appointed keeper on 30 AUG 1884 and transferred to Station Grand Point Au Sable on 18 MAR 1884.

Charles Lyssaght was appointed keeper on 19 MAR 1884 and transferred to Station White River on 13 JAN 1887.

John Missel was appointed keeper on 11 JAN 1887 and his appointment was revoked on 7 MAR 1887.

John H. McKenzie was appointed keeper on 7 MAR 1887 and transferred to Station South Haven on 10 JUN 1888.

Peter Olsen was appointed keeper on 3 APR 1888 and transferred to Station Baileys Harbor on 3 MAR 1896.

Telesford St. Peter was appointed keeper on 6 DEC 1899 and transferred to Station Pentwater on 24 MAR 1913.

John G. Sammet was appointed keeper in 1914 and left in 1915.

Nels Palmer was appointed keeper in 1915.

NORTH MANITOU ISLAND LIFESAVING STATION
Location: MANITOU PASSAGE/LAKE MICHIGAN
Nearest city: LELAND
Owner: NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
Current use: SEASONAL QUARTERS/RANGER STATION
Hours: LIMITED TO RANGER STATION
Public Phone: 231-326-5134
Access: FERRY FROM LELAND (SLEEPING BEAR DUNES NATIONAL LAKESHORE)

 

Copyright 2001-2002 Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy. All rights reserved.
Revised: 01/12/07.